Niels Bentzen, MD, Professor, Specialist in Family Medicine
Present position: Professor of General Practice, Copenhagen.
Academic degree: Cand.med. 1970, Aarhus, Denmark.
Born: 22nd of June 1944.
1994 Specialist in Family Medicine
1970 Medical degree, University of Aarhus, Denmark
1969 E.C.F.M.G., USA
2007- Professor, Dept. of General Practice, institute of Public Health, University of Copenhagen
2000-07 Professor, Dept. of Public Health and General Practice, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.
2000-07 Professor II, Dept. of Community Medicine, University of Tromsø.
2000-06 General Practitioner, Edda University Healthcenter, Trondheim.
1993-2000 Professor, Dept. of General Practice, University of Odense.
1975-2000 General Practitioner, Nr.Lyndelse, Denmark.
2007- Chair of Dept. of General Practice, Institute of Public Health, DK.
2005-07 Chair of Section for Primary Health Care, NTNU, Trondheim.
2003-07 Leader of the National Quality Assurance Project in Norway.
2000-07 Chair the National Admission Committee for Medicine in Norway.
2000-05 Chair scientific committee's for 4 international conferences.
2000-05 Chair of Section for General Practice, NTNU, Trondheim.
1999-2007 WHO advisor and primary care classification - ICPC.
1998-2007 Chair of Wonca International Classification Committee.
1996-2007 Member of 4 research committee's financing research in GP.
1993-96 External advisor for the project on list-system for GPs, Oslo.
1992- External examiner on 9 Doctor dissertations/Ph.D. thesis, 13 professorial chairs, 30 associate professor posts and numerous other academic posts.
1992- World Bank and PHARE expert on primary care in Hungary, Armenia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Poland, Moldova and Russia - Vologda.
1991-2000 Responsible for uptake of medical students by interview, Odense.
1990-96 Head of Depart. of Community Health and General Practice, Odense.
1990- Supervisor for 7 Ph.D. students.
1989- Founder of Audit Project Odense (APO), and member of the Board.
1986-95 Educational Committee, vice-dean for education from 1988.
1974-82 Secretary, Leuwenhorst group on education in General Practice.
1973-83 Leader of the Vocational Training in Family Medicine, Odense.
International/ National collaboration:
Chair of Wonca International Classification Committee (WICC), which is responsible for the ICPC-2 and for the Wonca Dictionary of General/Family Practice.
International research - EU projects:
1992-96 ERGHO - European Research Group on Health Outcomes.
1996-99 SCOPE - Supporting Clinical Outcome of the Elderly in Primary Care.
Publication 1996 - 2005 (lacking publication for 2006 and 2007):
1. Bentzen N. Wonca International Classification Committee. Wonca News, 31, 2005; 3:7-8.
2. Steinsbekk A, Bentzen N, Brien Sarah. Why do parents take their children to homeopaths? Accepted.
3. Steinsbekk A, Bentzen N, Fønnebø V, Lewith G. Self treatment with one of three selfselected, ultramolecular homeopathic medicines for the prevention of upper respiratory tract infections in children. A double blinde randomized placebo controlled trial. Br J Clin Pharmacol, 2005; 59: 447-55.
4. Bentzen N. Family Medicine Research: Implications for Wonca. Annals of Family Medicine, www.annfammed.org, 2004; 2 suppl 2: 45-9.
5. Steinsbekk A, Bentzen N, Fønnebø V, Lewith G. The use of simplified constitutional indications for self-prescription of homeopathich medicine. Complement Ther Med, 2004; 12: 122-7.
6. Steinsbekk A, bentzenN, Fønnebø V, Lewith GT. Randomized controlled trials on treatment by homeopaths and selftreatment with homeopathic medicines: design and protocol. J Altern Complement Med, 2004; 10: 1027-32.
7. Bentzen N (ed.). Wonca Dictionary of General/Family Practice, Wonca International Classification Committee, Månedsskrift for Praktisk Lægegerning, Copenhagen 2003.
8. Nexøe J, Aabom B, Larsen J, Søndergaard J, Bentzen N, De Maeseneer J, Meyboom-de Jong B. Health and health system news. More Univeresity based general practice needed. WONCA News 2001; 27.
9. Bentzen N. Needed: a people-centered classification of health problems seen in primary care. Towards Unity for Health, Oct. 2000, 23-25.
10. Okkes IM, Jamoulle M, Lamberts H, Bentzen N: ICPC-2-E, the electronic version of ICPC-2. Differences with the printed version and the consequences. Family Practice 2000;17:101-6.
11. Kolstrup N, Bentzen N. Danish experiences with patient lists in the general practice system - chaos or flexibility? Tidsskr Nor Lægeforening 2000; 120: 854-6.
12. Lindegaard P, Bentzen N, Christiansen T: Reliability of the COOP/WONCA charts. Scand J Prim Health Care 1999; 17:145-8.
13. Bentzen N, Christiansen T, McColl E, Meadows K: Selection and cross-cultural adaptation of health outcome measures. European Journal of General Practice 1998; 4:27-33.
14. Bridges-Webb C, Bentsen BG, Bentzen N et al: ICPC-2 - International Classification of Primary Care, 2nd edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1998.
15. Hutchinson A, Bentzen N, König-Zahn C: Cross Cultural Health Outcome Assesment; a user's guide. ISBN 90 36707 48x, Drukkerij Bariet bv, Ruinen, Netherlands, 1996.